RILA is more intellectually demanding than most ordinary study abroad programs. It requires above all a motivation to pursue ideas, not simply to see the sights of Rome. In addition, a certain maturity is required to live abroad. Hence applications will be accepted only from those students who:
- Will be at least 18 years old by the date they apply to RILA
- Will have completed at least one year of college before the date the RILA course begins, or, if freshmen, will include in their application a recommendation letter from one of their current professors
- Are in good academic and disciplinary standing (or have graduated)
Please follow the instructions below, and in addition, contact your study abroad office about further requirements they may have as part of the application process.
Step 1: APPLICATION
- Unofficial transcripts of all post-secondary school work to date.
- Brief personal statement (1/2 – 1 page about yourself and why you are interested in studying abroad).
- A $150 application fee, 2/3 of which will go towards tuition (if accepted in the program), while 1/3 will cover the application costs. The first $100 will be reimbursed to you if your application is not accepted.
Both your personal statement and unofficial transcripts should be e-mailed to email@example.com. You can send an electronic document downloaded from your home institution’s website, or a scanned or photographed image of the printed transcripts. Please make sure that your name and GPA as well as the name and/or logo of the institution that released the document are clearly visible in the image.
Please note that your application will not be effective until we will have received all required documentation and fees.
Step 2: ENROLLMENT
Soon after application deadline, you will be contacted for an online interview. Only once you will received confirmation that your application has been accepted, you may enroll using the form below.
Accepted students should send in the online ENROLLMENT form within 3 days, and complete their payment within a week from their acceptance into the program:Enrollment form
Once you will have completed your travel arrangements, please complete and send your Travel form.
Please check the Student Life page on this website for additional information about your trip and time in Rome.
Please note that all required application documents and fees must be received by the given deadline. Applications that are not fully completed by their deadline will incur in a late fee or might be dismissed.
- Spring Semester Program applications: November 1st
- Spring Semester Program financial aid applications: October 15th
Please be aware that RILA has a strict policy about deadlines. In case you think you will have problems respecting the given deadlines, please let us know about it as soon as possible and we’ll try to work with you towards a solution. If we don’t hear from you and your registration documents and fees are more than 2 days late, a late fee of $50 will be applied and it will be doubled after 3 more days.
Late application may still be possible, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The fees below are for students who intend to apply to RILA independently of their home institution. Students whose home institution has an affiliation agreement with RILA can be sponsored by their college/university.
Please contact us at email@example.com for details.
|Activity fee:||$ 450|
|Deposit (non-refundable):||$ 500|
|Health care insurance:||$ 150||**|
The expenses listed below can be used as guides for financial planning, but please understand that students’ expenses may vary greatly depending on individual habits, travel plans, and exchange rates.
Other expenses not included in fees paid to RILA:
- Round Trip Airfare $ 750 – 1,300
- Housing deposit $ 500 (refunded at check-out in absence of damages)
- Meals $ 50 – 150 per week
- Optional Italian language class $ 320
- Optional two night trip to Siena $ 150
- Optional one night trip to Naples – Paestum $ 210
- Credits fee $ 450 (only for students from colleges that don’t have an affiliation agreement with RILA)
Please be aware that due to the euro/dollar exchange rate, fees may be subject to slight changes. Nevertheless, we guarantee that once payments are made, we will not request further payment, even if exchange rates change.
To make a payment to RILA, you can either make an ACH payment through your bank, or pay with PayPal or credit card. Please note that a 2.9% booking fee will be applied to credit card payments. ACH payments usually do not require additional fees; please contact your bank for details.
You can make an online payment through your bank. If you have online banking, it is usually possible to make an ACH payment online, or you can go to your bank in person. Either way, please provide your bank with the following information:
- Payment: indicate the amount you intend to pay to RILA
- Routing number: 121102036
- Account number: 041873793
An installment plan is available to allow students to break total fees into monthly payments. To request an installment plan, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Every year RILA grants a number of scholarships to students in need. RILA scholarships cover from 10% to 50% of tuition. All other costs and expenses (i.e.; remaining tuition, travel expenses, rent, etc.) are to be covered by the student.
Given the limited number of scholarships available, we invite those students who can afford to pay full tuition to leave the scholarship opportunities for those who most need them. For the same reason, our policy is not to grant funds to students who already received aid towards RILA tuition from their home institution or any other organization.
To apply for a RILA scholarship, students are required to first complete the regular application procedure described above by the financial aid deadline. In addition, students should send a one page (max 400 words) essay on the theme of the course of their choice. (Essays must be anonymous, please do not put your name on your essay). Essays should be sent to email@example.com in attachment to an e-mail message containing the student’s name, the course they are applying to, and a request for scholarship.
Please note that scholarship requests will not be evaluated until an application is complete with all required documents and fees.